Ecma Fellow award and Emeritus membership policy
The Ecma Fellow and its associated Emeritus membership are part of an award program to recognize selected Ecma individuals who have served Ecma for a long time in an exceptionally outstanding fashion. Ecma grants those individuals the status of “Ecma Fellow” who, if they choose to, would be able at no cost continue to participate in Ecma work as Emeritus members.
The Ecma fellowship award is a rare and prestigious distinction given to exceptional technologists, futurists, whose contributions shape both Ecma and our Industry as a whole.
An Ecma Fellow award is granted for life. The Ecma GA has the right to withdraw a Fellow award in the event of a severe violation of the Ecma policies.
The Ecma fellowship is granted to experts who have made outstanding technical contributions over several years.
The Ecma Fellow award includes an Emeritus membership (without voting rights) in the TC that submitted the nomination of the candidate (or its successor) for a duration of 10 years.
The TC can submit a request to the GA to renew the Emeritus membership for another period of 10 years.
If the Ecma Fellow, in her/his Emeritus member capacity, chooses to participate and contribute to a standardization project in a TC, then the Ecma Fellow shall commit to license all relevant essential patents they own related to that project of the TC on a RF basis.
The Emeritus member irrevocably grants Ecma International the right to use her/his contributions, in part or whole, whether adapted or not, that are submitted to Ecma International, for Ecma International’s purposes of standardization, while retaining all the rights that the Emeritus member may have on those contributions.
To start the process, a TC approves and submits a nomination proposal to the GA which contains a list of the outstanding contributions and achievements of the candidate with dates and other relevant details.
The proposal for an Ecma Fellowship award and its associated Emeritus membership is submitted to the approval of the GA.
The list of Ecma Fellows shall appear in the award section of the Ecma website.
Emeritus member participation in a TC
The Emeritus member shall fill in a form (available on the Ecma website and annexed to this policy) if she/he intends to participate and contribute in the standardization work of an Ecma TC.
If the Emeritus member form has not been filled in and signed by the Ecma Fellow/Emeritus member, she/he will not be able to participate and contribute in the standardization work of an Ecma TC.
Annex - Emeritus member form for participating in the work
of an Ecma TC
(this form is to be filled by an Emeritus member only if they intend to attend or take part and contribute in the standardization work of an Ecma TC - you can download a PDF version here)
- I, ...............................(full name), an Ecma Fellow, accept to participate in the work of TC.. (TC number) as an Emeritus member.
- I confirm that I have personal knowledge of the By-laws, Rules and the Code of Conduct in Patent Matters of Ecma International and that I will comply with them.
- If - in my Emeritus member capacity – I choose to participate and contribute to a standardization project of an Ecma TC, I accept that I shall commit to license all my relevant essential patents related to the standardization project I contribute to on a RF basis.
- I irrevocably grant Ecma International the right to use my contributions, in part or whole, whether adapted or not, that I submit to Ecma International, for Ecma International’s purposes of standardisation, while I retain all the rights that I may have on those contributions.
- I understand that I will participate in the work of Ecma International without voting rights.
- I understand that my Emeritus membership is granted for 10 years and it is possible for TC.. (TC number) to request that membership to be renewed. My compliance with the Code of Conduct in Patent Matters remains active without time limitation even after the expiration of my Emeritus membership.